Self Portrait/Propaganda Poster


Self Portrait
I had a lot more fun with this project that I was originally expecting to! Initially I thought I was going to have a real hard time trying to get the shapes to resemble me, however it actually ended up flowing a lot smoother than anticipated. This first portion I was truly just focused on trying to get the shapes and colors to a point where anyone who knows me could point to it and say "yeah that's max!". It was interesting to play with the different layers and to see what the best way to create shapes effectively without adding too much detail to the unseen areas like my chin or under my hair. There were some challenges. I was initially planning on adding more detail into the shirt and the hair because in the reference there was a ton of colors and a ton of strands of hair. However, when I created the base layer I think it was more effective than trying to obtain a photo realistic representation.
Propaganda Poster

The second half of this project was even better than the first. I would like to say that I absolutely love the way this ended up. Obviously here I was taking a fairly extreme reference from Obama's propaganda poster during his time in office. I thought this would be a fun recreation because this is very possibly the most popular propaganda poster from my generations life, so I thought it would be fun to put my own little twist on it.I kept the same color scheme and same patterns to try and resemble the original as closely as possible. Some issues that I ran into while making this is that my original photo did not exactly have the same lighting that is shown in Obama's so I had to try to match the shadows and lightning from his otherwise I believe that my entire face would've been the same shade of blue or red. I suppose that either party could read further into my choices of changing the "hope" to "nope" and what that says about our government. All in all, this has been my favorite piece that we've made in class yet and I believe that this is an image that I will hang onto forever. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gradient Mesh

Business Cards

Autoscopy